Monday, August 26, 2013

Oh yeah. I better learn to swim too.

Remember how I was going to start swimming two weeks ago?   Yeah, I didn't do that.  I started today.  It's kinda a big deal because (and this might be glaringly obvious), I really, really didn't want to do it.  It's not the actual SWIMMING that bothers me - it's the wedging myself into my 1980s swimsuit and waddling out in front of other people to go swimming.  But I did it this morning and guess what?  It turns out my actual swimming is just as embarrassing as my 80s floral suit.  I swim with my head up... kinda like a fat, shell-less turtle.  I kick my legs way too much and instead of a smooth kick-kick, I do some sort of sideways frog move.  Sure, I move through the water (huffing and puffing), but it is utterly without grace.  And of course there were super smooth (probably professional Olympian) swimmers right in the lanes next to me making me feel even dorkier.

I did 750 meters according to my Garmin 910xt, but it didn't feel very far so I am not sure it's correct.  It was the first time using my watch in the water so I will have to double check it.  For my first day, I was pleased enough.  It took about 20 minutes and that was with liberal breaks at the end of each lap.  If the Garmin is right, I think I can probably do the swim portion better than I thought.  I could definitely use some technique work with the swim, but I guess just getting out there in all my chubby, old lady glory is a good start.

After my swim, I ran 4 miles.  These days, 4 miles is nothing.  I did 13.1 on Saturday and for the first time, I feel like CRAP afterwards: shaky, nauseated, weak.  I'm not sure if it was a nutrition thing or what, but it was pretty awful.  I have my training schedule for the next 4 weeks and it's all multi-sport work-outs.  Swim & Run on Monday & Friday, Bike & Run on Tuesday & Thursday, and my long Bike ride with Swim on Wednesday.  Saturdays are my long run days with Sunday as my much deserved sit-on-my-ass day.


The good news is that my Zainie started 6th grade today (Wil's school started to weeks ago) so both kids are officially IN SCHOOL!!  This makes scheduling work outs a million times easier an hopefully, I can hit it hard over the next few weeks. 

It's 27 days until the big event.  I gotta make these days count!

No comments:

Post a Comment